The Microsoft Online Backup Service is a cloud based backup solution for Windows Server “8” which allows files and folders to be backed up and recovered from the cloud in order to provide off-site protection against data loss due to disasters. The service provides IT administrators with the option to back up and protect critical data in an easily recoverable way from any location with no upfront hardware cost or resources other than an Internet connection. This service is built on the Windows Azure platform and uses Windows Azure blob storage for storing customer data. Windows Server “8” uses the downloadable Microsoft Online Backup Agent to transfer file and folder data securely and efficiently to the Microsoft Online Backup Service. Once installed, the Microsoft Online Backup Agent exposes its functionality through the familiar Windows Server Backup interface.
Getting started with Microsoft Online Backup service on Windows Server “8” Beta is a simple two-step process:
- Get a free beta Online Backup Service account (with 10 GB of cloud storage). In order to request access, please sign up to get an invitation to the service at http://connect.microsoft.com/onlinebackup. Please note that there are a limited number of customers that we can support during the beta and we will grow our capacity over time. We have available slots right now so if you are willing to give us feedback, sign up now to try this great new service.
- Download and install the Microsoft Online Backup Agent. The agent installer download is located on the Microsoft Connect Site indicated above.
Below are some of the key features we’re delivering in Windows Server “8” using Microsoft Online Backup service:
- Simple configuration and management. Microsoft Online Backup Service integrates with the familiar Windows Server Backup utility in order to provide a seamless backup and recovery experience to a local disk, or to the cloud.
- Simple user interface to configure and monitor the backups.
- Integrated recovery experience to transparently recover files and folders from local disk or from cloud.
- Easily recover any data that was backed up onto any server of your choice.
- Windows PowerShell command-line interface scripting capability.
- Read the rest @> http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2012/03/28/microsoft-online-backup-service.aspx