I am working on a large data migration project at the moment working with SharePoint Online and just had to share this issue.. it kinda got me stumped for a while…
Using SharePoint Online Management Shell I got the following error:
Now the error sent me off looking at my O365 permissions, I am a global admin for the tenant. I am basically trying to configure user interpretation so I can move users OneDrive data out to another tenant, so I have also checked permissions for eDiscovery etc. But thinking about it all I am trying to do at this stage is connect to the SharePoint Admin site.. and it is giving me this error.. This is odd, I have done this loads of times before…
After about an hour of banging my head against a brick wall, I managed to resolve the problem. The solution was simple, I changed my DNS servers on my client machine to point to Google DNS (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206) and that was it. – it turns out the error is actually my ISP trying to offer a “DNS Help” page which is omitting the error.
Here are my findings when trying to sort out this issue that may help to explain why it happened in the first place.
The 3rd option did it for me as I use Virgin Media, so thought well if I use Googles DNS this may resolve my problem.. and it did.