One of the nice little features of the latest version of SharePoint is that you can quickly create themes for SharePoint 2010 by using Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.
The concept of themes were introduced in SharePoint 2007, and they’re now given a different touch in SharePoint 2010.
In this tip, you will see how to quickly create a theme using PowerPoint 2010 and then import and apply it to SharePoint 2010 site(s).
1. Open a PowerPoint 2010 and create new file, you can also use existing PowerPoint file.
2. Select Design Colors and select Grayscale, see the figure below.
3. Select DesignàFonts and select Office Classic 2 as shown in figure below.
4. Our basic theme is now ready (you can do other modifications but better to keep it simple for now). To save the theme file (.thmx) select File à Save As. On the Save As dialog enter My Custom Theme for the File Name and select Office theme (*.thmx) for Save as type. This is shown in figure below.
5. For importing the theme file into SharePoint 2010 browse to the site collection and go to Site Settings Page. Click on the Themes links present under Galleries section, this will open the Themes Gallery page.
6. Click on Documents Tabs and select Upload Document as shown in figure below.
7. On the Upload Document dialog browse and select My Custom Theme.thmx file that you had created earlier.
8. Your new theme is now available in Themes Gallery and ready for use.
9. In order to apply this new theme to the site, browse to Site Settings page and select Site Theme link present under Looks and Feel section as shown below.
10. On the Site Theme page, select My Custom Theme as shown below.
11. You have an option to apply theme only to the current site or to the current site and all its sub sites, you can choose either option. In this example later is selected as shown below.
Finally, click the Apply button to save and apply your changes.
12. My Custom Theme is now applied to current site and all its sub sites. You can browse to various pages in the site to see the theme in action.
The following is the default home page of the site with this theme applied.
There is a Microsoft Theme Builder product available in BETA release at the moment, this will allow you to slightly more that you can in PowerPoint i have added a link and some details for you to download and have a play:
The Theme Builder tool enables the creation of document themes for Microsoft Office 2007. Document themes provide a quick and easy way to apply a consistent look across all your Microsoft Office documents. You can apply the same theme to PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and even Outlook emails.
Download Theme Builder Here
Open Theme Builder, and click on the help menu. There you’ll find all the information you need to create amazing document themes!
Before you can run the tool, you’ll need to install the following items:
.Net Framework 3.0
Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies